Finding the right Newport Beach rehab could mean the difference between detox and sustained recovery or relapse and ongoing addiction.
SAMHSA’s most recent National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH 2020) shows a dramatic increase in both alcoholism and substance use disorder in the United States as the after-effects of the pandemic continue rippling outward. This data shows that 40 million people have substance use disorder and 28.5 million have alcohol use disorder.
These figures are disturbing enough, but research indicates that only 10% of those requiring addiction treatment engage with any form of therapy.
If you feel you would benefit from California rehab Newport Beach, this guide will help you establish what to expect from addiction treatment in Southern California.
What to Expect at a Newport Beach Rehab Center
If you need treatment for drug addiction or alcoholism in Newport Beach, you have the choice of the following delivery methods:
- Inpatient rehab
- Outpatient rehab
Inpatient treatment is also known as residential rehab. All therapy is delivered at a treatment center. Most people remain at Newport beach rehab and care facilities for between 30 and 90 days, taking them from detox to discharge.
Outpatient rehab offers you access to broadly similar services as inpatient rehab. Unlike with residential rehab, outpatient clients attend counseling sessions for a few hours on weekdays. There are no overnight stays, and you return home or to a sober living community between treatment sessions. OPs (standard outpatient programs) are the least intensive form of treatment on ASAM’s continuum of care, followed by IOPs (intensive outpatient programs) and PHPs (partial hospitalization programs).
Before comparing Newport beach rehab facilities, you should first establish whether inpatient or outpatient treatment makes the smoothest fit.
Research suggests that intensive outpatient programs can treat most substance use disorders as effectively as inpatient programs. This applies to most mild and some moderate addictions.
For most people with more severe substance use disorders, though, residential rehab offers a more supportive environment. Those with unsupportive home environments laden with triggers for addiction may also find inpatient treatment provides a superior setting for detox and recovery.
How your day is structured in Newport Beach rehab will vary according to whether you’re opting for inpatient or outpatient therapy. Regardless of the delivery method, you’ll have access to the same therapies, the key difference being that you will eat and sleep at an inpatient facility, while in outpatient rehab you’ll only attend scheduled sessions.
Most inpatient programs in Newport Beach start early with all clients eating a healthy breakfast in a communal dining area.
After breakfast, most rehab centers offer some form of relaxation class – typically yoga or meditation. This allows you to begin your day in a positive state of mind, ready to embrace new ideas and concepts to combat self-defeating behaviors without resorting to substance use. You can model this way of starting the day when you complete treatment and start creating a healthier sober life.
Group counseling sessions normally take place in the morning. A counselor or therapist leads discussions centered on recovery and addiction treatment. These group sessions form the main component of outpatient treatment.
After a healthy lunch, most Newport Beach rehabs will deliver the day’s most intensive treatment. Expect any or all of the following:
- One-to-one psychotherapy sessions: Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is the most effective form of psychotherapy for treating addiction. Also known as talk therapy, psychotherapy allows you to explore the way your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are interlinked. A cognitive behavioral therapist can help you to identify what triggers you to use substances. Your therapist can then guide you toward creating and implementing healthier coping strategies. CBT sessions will equip you with robust tools applicable throughout your ongoing recovery.
- Counseling: With individual counseling, you can probe the specifics of your addiction with an experienced and qualified therapist. While group counseling sessions lack the personal touch of one-to-one sessions, you’ll benefit in other ways. Not only can you get support from peers undergoing similar experiences, but you’ll also get a wide range of opinions and input from others in recovery.
- Specialized sessions: Some Newport Beach rehabs provide specialized therapies. If you require any therapies like grief counseling or anger management, make sure the center offers these before committing to treatment.
- Holistic therapies: Alternative and holistic therapies can be a valuable component of recovery when delivered alongside traditional evidence-based treatments. Outdoor adventure therapy and exercise programs allow you to take advantage of all that Newport Beach has to offer while furthering your recovery.
- Family therapy: Alcohol abuse and drug abuse impact the whole family, not just the person abusing substances. With family therapy sessions, benefit from an impartial third party helping you to communicate more effectively with your family and to improve your ability to defuse conflict. Support from your family can strengthen your chances of maintaining a sober life without relapsing.
Expect some free time for an hour or two following this intensive phase of treatment.
If you are attending inpatient rehab in Newport Beach, early bedtimes are encouraged.
For those attending outpatient rehab in Newport Beach, schedules will be similar to those outlined above for a typical inpatient program. Most outpatient sessions start at 10 a.m. with an individual counseling session. After lunch comes group therapy, with the afternoons focused on alternative or complementary therapies.
An IOP in Newport Beach will usually have sessions for a few hours on at least three weekdays. Newport Beach PHPs offer outpatient therapy on most days of the week for up to six hours per day.
With all outpatient programs in Newport Beach, you return home in the evenings. For those with home environments not conducive to recovery, a sober living community can be beneficial.
Drug Rehab: Newport Beach
Drug rehab in Newport beach usually involves a combination of the following therapies:
- MAT (medication-assisted treatment)
Both heroin use disorder and opioid use disorder respond to treatment with any of these FDA-approved medications:
All of these medications work in slightly different ways, by either blocking or partially blocking the rewarding effects of opioids on the brain.
Regardless of the medication used, by normalizing brain and body chemistry, MAT can reduce the intensity of both drug withdrawal and cravings.
MAT is most effective when supplemented with counseling and psychotherapy.
Alcohol Rehab: Newport Beach
What can you expect from alcohol rehab in Newport Beach, then?
Well, before any therapy begins, you’ll need to flush all the toxins from your system. Alcohol withdrawal lasts for 7 to 10 days, depending on how much you have been drinking and the duration of alcohol abuse. For more severe alcohol withdrawal, it is advisable to detox in a medical detox center or in residential rehab in Newport Beach.
With detox complete, you can take advantage of these FDA-approved medications:
In addition to these FDA-approved medications for easing withdrawal symptoms and cravings, MAT for alcohol use disorder also utilizes the following classes of medication:
- Anti-nausea medications
- Anti-seizure medications
Following successful detoxification, you might engage with any of the following therapies in a Newport Beach alcohol rehab:
- CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy)
- DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy)
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapies
While not part of rehab programs, you can also access 12-step support groups or secular alternatives like SMART Recovery via your treatment team.
With treatment complete, the best Newport Beach alcohol rehab centers ensure you have a solid relapse prevention plan in place, as well as the appropriate level of aftercare.
Attending a Newport Beach Rehab Facility
Whether you need alcohol treatment in Newport Beach or drug rehab in Newport Beach, you have a multitude of options at your fingertips.
Addiction is a chronic but treatable condition, and a personalized array of the therapies outlined above should help you detox and start a sober life.
If you fail to find a suitable facility through an online search or recommendation, consider kickstarting your recovery at The District Recovery Community.
The District Recovery’s Rehab Near Newport Beach
If alcohol use disorder or substance use disorder is disrupting life for you and your loved ones, we can help you here at The District Recovery Community.
All our Newport Beach rehab programs utilize a research-based combination of the following therapies:
- MAT (medication-assisted treatment)
- Psychotherapy (CBT and DBT)
- Counseling (individual and group)
We also provide access to a range of holistic therapies here in Newport Beach, promoting a whole-body approach to healing and recovery.
For anyone grappling with addiction and a co-occurring mental health disorder like anxiety or depression, our dual diagnosis treatment program allows you to unpack both conditions simultaneously for the best chance of recovery and sound mental health.
If you require more support than a traditional outpatient program provides, we offer both IOPs and PHPs as more intensive forms of outpatient treatment.